Tuesday 25 January 2011

Jessie Ware Interview for Dazed & Confused


Jessie Ware started out touring with schoolmates Jack Penate and The Maccabees, before finding underground fame providing the Jocelyn Brown-esque vocals over the SBTRKT produced 2010 club hit 'Nervous.’  Now working with everyone from Damon Dash and Sampha, to Oneman and The Invisible, the young Londoner will be putting out her next EP in April on Island Records’ new imprint PMR.

What's the Jessie Ware Sound?

Its not defined yet - but its somewhere between Chaka Khan, club music and RnB.

How did going to the same school as Jack Penate, Florence and some Maccabees influence you as a musician?

Jack and Felix are my bestest friends - they are totally inspiring.  They made me see that it was possible to go out and do music when no one else we know was doing it.  Jack gave me the chance to tour and sing to huge crowds, whilst doing it with my best mate.

You've covered some ground when it comes to careers - journalism, TV - why is singing the one?

Singing is the only one I know instinctively.  I feel the most comfortable when singing.  It lay dormant for a while as I was scared to give it a proper go and I think that's where all the other attempts at careers came from. I kept applying for a law conversion as a back up for if singing didn't work out…luckily the music keeps working out.

Apart from SBTRKT who else have you been working with?

Sampha, Oneman, Dave from The Invisible, Sam Frank, Jaz Rogers.  My label A&R also manages Jai Paul so I am hoping we are going to do something together soon too.

What's SBTRKT hiding behind the masks?

A handsome face!

Are you still close with Man Like Me?

Very.  In fact we have a date as soon as I get back from NY.  They have helped me so much with performance, as you can't hold back if you are on stage with them - you will just look like a party pooper.

2011 will see debut albums from James Blake, Katy B and Jamie Woon. What do you think of London's new musical culture?

I love it all!  It's such an exciting time for electronic music in London.  And I love that all of them can sing, beautifully.

www.myspace.com/jessiewaremusic

No comments:

Post a Comment